Washington, DC – Today, 55 conservative leaders from across America signed the open letter entitled “Vision For New Conservative Leadership.”
VISION FOR NEW CONGRESSIONAL LEADERSHIP
View the full letter.
Don’t Miss Out
Subscribe to our free email newsletter and get all the latest sent directly to your inbox.
Republican leaders have a responsibility to better align their party’s policy stances with founding American principles, the U.S. Constitution, and the will and consent of the American people against the threats facing this nation right now. Congressional leaders represent more than merely the internal majority of their respective chambers. They become national leaders of the entire Republican Party and, when in the majority, the citizens of every state. This is the essence of self-government.
Failed leadership has profound consequences on our culture, our children, our prosperity, our security and consequently, spreads defeatism.
A recent Gallup poll shows half the nation, Democrats and Republicans, believes the federal government poses an immediate threat to the rights and freedoms of ordinary citizens. There is bipartisan agreement that the government we now have has failed.
The overwhelming majority of Republicans now believe congressional leaders care more about special interests than the country’s interest, causing the disaffection of millions of citizens. The Republican Party has become an empty vessel, instead of broadening the Party’s appeal through demonstrated contrast with liberal policies and a robust defense of American exceptionalism. Conservatives expect party leaders to place the nation’s interests before their own re-election, especially at this time in our nation’s history.
We call for statesmen with the humility and capacity to act in the best interests of those who understand what is at stake in our times, and to govern with truth, principles and selflessness. We do not need to elevate career politicians who protect their power with political gamesmanship, show votes, self-interest and ineffective oversight.
Republicans, squandering their landslide 2014 victory, have failed to use their powers to stop the big-government, big-business agenda dominating Washington backrooms. They failed to listen to us, calling many patriots names, just as liberals hoped. This caused the division on display now. Surrendering to and accommodating the growing-government agenda, just to get re-elected, is not why Republicans were granted majorities in both houses of Congress last year.
10 things Americans Want from New Congressional Leadership:
1. We want a conservative vision and strategy for a prosperous future that frames a contrast with the failed progressive, liberal policies of President Obama and the Left. We want strategies that include passionate, effective messaging for getting important legislation inserted into must-pass bills, using outside allies and all possible resources.
2. We want a unified, more effective messaging strategy that moves members and allies to go on offense together over the biggest threats to the nation. We want leaders to stop excessively using mainstream media to talk to the nation, and craft new and effective tactics that will go around a hostile news establishment.
3. We want effective government oversight by committees who expose the lawlessness and change what is wrong with the unaccountable, growing administrative state, which abuses its citizens and drains the national treasury in the process.
4. We want regular legislative order through committees with an end to backroom deals and special favors at the White House or in leadership offices.
5. We want a meritocracy in Congress where partisan politics and fundraising play less of a role in highlighting Member/Senator ideas and committee assignments.
6. We demand that you stop punishing your own team, many who are champions to conservatives. Respect your base by showing greater offense to the radical Left than your conservative base.
7. We demand that you fight to protect political opponents of the President and the institutions that are increasingly under attack, i.e. military, law enforcement, private property, free markets, rule of law, religious liberty, etc.
8. We demand that you force the opposition to defend their failed and harmful ideology and policies by shining a light on the damage they have done and are doing.
9. We demand you keep your promises you made as you campaigned for office, and go full bore to stop President Obama’s fundamental transformation having lost too many months and too much trust amongst Americans already.
10. We demand that you restore Congress’ legislative powers so it is once again a branch holding the other two branches, and the administrative state, in check.
Self-government, as designed by the founders will end as a check on unrestrained power in the other branches, if Congress continues to fail to exercise its constitutional role as a brake on executive and judicial abuses of power. Congress will become irrelevant in the scheme of our government.
John Boehner did not care about the institution, as he claimed. Had he cared, the Congress would be on offense, pushing back and defending the country’s interests under this lawless, power-hungry President. Do not be the Congress and its leaders who history books reveal as the men and women who squandered and lost America’s self government.
Organizational affiliations for identification purposes only.
David N. Bossie, President, Citizens United
Michael A. Needham, Chief Executive Office, Heritage Action
Jenny Beth Martin, Tea Party Patriots
Andrew C. McCarthy, former federal prosecutor
Sandy Rios, Director of Governmental Affairs, American Family Association
Brad Thor, #1 New York Times bestselling author
Dan Bongino, GOP Nominee US Senate (MD)
Tim Daughtry, Co-author, Waking the Sleeping Giant
Rick Manning, President, Americans for Limited Government
Former Congressman Jim Ryun, Chairman, Madison Project
Tim Wildman, President, American Family Association
Kevin Jackson, syndicated radio host, Executive Director of The Black Sphere, LLC
Col. Francis X. DeLuca, USMCR (Ret), President, Civitas Action
Joseph Farah, Editor and Chief Executive Officer, WND.com, WND Books, WND Films
Janet Porter, President, Faith2Action
Ken Benway, Lt. Col US Army Ret, Founder, Special Operations Speaks
Steve Deace, Conservative Review
Rod D. Martin, Founder and CEO, The Martin Organization
Sherri R. Martin, The Martin Organization
Nicholas Stehle, Center for the American Future
Hon. Jerry Melvin, President, Florida Republican Assembly
Hon. Sharron Angle, President, National Federation of Republican Assemblies
Hon. Joseph E. Schmitz, Former Inspector General of the Department of Defense; Partner Schmitz & Socarros, LLP
William H. Shaker. Chief Executive Officer, Washington Marketing Group; Volunteer President, Rule of Law Committee
Ken Cuccinelli, President, Senate Conservatives Fund
Col. Rob Maness (USAF Ret), Founder, GatorPAC
Kenneth R. Timmerman, Author
Kevin Freeman, CFA, Founder, NSIC Institute
Joel Arends, Veterans for A Stronger America
Melissa Ortiz, Founder and Principal, Able Americans
Elaine Donnelly, President, Center for Military Readiness
Elizabeth Bailey, Treasurer, Friends of Becky Gerritson, Campaign Committee
Tim Macy, Chairman, Gun Owners of America
Greg Scandlen, Health Benefits Group
Robert K. Fischer, Meeting Coordinator, Conservatives of Faith
Richard and Susan Falknor, Publishers, Blue Ridge Forum
Vicki Dooling, Assemblywoman, District 41 Nevada
Seton Motley, President, Less Government
Colin Hanna, President, Let Freedom Ring
Carolee Adams, President, Eagle Forum of New Jersey
Kim Simac, Founder, Northwoods Patriots, Wisconsin
Shirley Kufeldt, Co-Founder, Northwoods Patriots, Wisconsin
Kelly Monroe Kullberg, Founder, The American Conservancy, Author, Finding God at Harvard
Peter J. Thomas, Chairman, Americans for Constitutional Liberty
Adelle (Dee) Park, Founder, Moore County, NC GOP and TEA Party
Billie Tucker, CE, Grassroots for Victory USA
Andrew Bostom, MD MS
J. Christian Adams, attorney
Becky Garritson, Candidate for US Congress AL2; President Wetumpka TEA Party
Honorable J. Kenneth Blackwell, President, Constitutional Congress, Inc.
George Rasley, Editor, conservativehq.com
Curt Levey President, The Committee for Justice
Adam Brandon, Freedom Works
Thomas Pyle, American Energy Alliance
Donna Hearne, CEO, The Constitutional Coalition